Skincare! It seems so simple - keep it clean, moisturize - but depending on your skin type, it can get really complicated! Thankfully, summer makes everyone's skin a little better. The sun, humidity, and fresher food gives you a nice glow and it helps clear acne. But even girls with "perfect" skin have a skin care regimen they follow. So here are my tested skincare tips to help you get your skin looking at luscious as Natasha Oakley's...
I'm going to start with the hardest tips, the ones I've tested and found to be true.
1. Reduce your sugar intake! This makes a huge difference for me in terms of acne, clearness, and vibrancy of my skin. I discovered this while doing a Whole30 and every time I make the effort to reduce or cut out sugar intake, my skin clears up. I haven't been eating well lately, and that's why you aren't seeing my face up there.
2. Reduce dairy and soy intake. This may or may not work for you. Dairy can fuel inflammation, and soy can mimic estrogen, both things that can exacerbate acne.
3. Try out a different face-washing routine. When I was Nicaragua, I discovered that my skin looooved the humidity and only being washed once a day. I washed at night to remove any grime or makeup, and didn't wash in the morning. It might seem weird at first, and may be tricky to remember if you shower in the morning, but your skin might be more sensitive (and less oily) than you think. Over-washing can stimulate extra oil production redness, and/or dullness.
4. Make the switch to all natural products. There are some amazing products out there that your skin will love that don't include harsh chemicals. Again, everyone's skin is different, and if you try switching products, give it at least 3 weeks before you decide whether it helps or not. I'll share some of my favorite products below.
5. Exfoliate. Exfoliate everything! Use a gentle exfoliator on your face - even baking soda or sugar will work - and massage it gently a couple times a week, or when you feel you need to. Use a thicker, coarser exfoliator on your body several times a week. Focus on your elbows, knees, ankles, butt and thighs, and even your underarms and bikini line (but be a little gentler on these areas). Regularly exfoliating your body will keep your skin feeling silky smooth.
6. Moisturize! Find an all natural moisturizer for your body. I really love Burt's Bees, and coconut oil and jojoba oil are amazing, too. Using an all natural moisturizer will be absorbed into the skin way more effectively (and is way less harmful) than a product packed full of chemicals.
7. Use sunscreen. I have yet to find a natural sunscreen I feel happy using day-to-day, but for long-term health, it really is important. I've heard many good things about Coola, Sunology, SuperGoop (not technically "all natural"), and Kiss My Face. Another one is Badger Balm, anyone hear of it? Among the natural sunscreens, I've tried 3rd Rock Sunblock (I've met the founder and I love the story and philosophy behind their brand) and Safe Harbor. These two brands both felt kind of sticky. Safe Harbor was harder to rub in.
Here are some of my favorite products that I use on a regular basis:
Have a product or tip you love that makes your skin look fresh and gorgeous? Share it below or tweet me!
Thanks for reading!